“Blugold Radio” showcases student life at UW-Eau Claire. The program features information on campus events and clubs, as well as interviews with students. Music performed by various on-campus groups rounds out the broadcast. The show airs Sundays from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. on 89.7 WUEC-FM with hosts Zhen Wei Yap, Kayla Menzie, and Courtney Kuepeers.
“Blugold Radio” began in 2002 under the name “Blugold Performance of the Air.” At that time, the show featured music, reading, forensics, and other types of performances by UW-Eau Claire students and faculty. As the show evolved, hosts began to include background information on each featured artist or performer.
Blugold Radio News
“Blugold Radio News” brings community news, campus news, and interviews to its listeners each Sunday at 5 p.m., 6 p.m., and 7 p.m. on WUEC-FM. The program is directed by Glen Olson. Volunteer reporters and students in UW-Eau Claire’s Intermediate Journalism class also produce stories for the program. Email Glen Olson (email@example.com) with news tips.
About Blugold Radio:
Blugold Radio is a radio station that is proudly owned and operated by student producers and broadcasters at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. WUEC-FM is affiliated with Wisconsin Public Radio (WPR). When not being used for student-operated programming, Blugold Radio broadcasts various Wisconsin Public Radio programs by WPR broadcasters.
Blugold Radio’s Mission:
Blugold Radio is operated in the public interest. The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire has a responsibility to provide education, public service, and enrichment. With this in mind, Blugold Radio will provide its campus and community listeners with programming that is devoted to news, current events, information, education, and music.
Blugold Radio’s Vision:
Blugold Radio is one of the principle ways that the university communicates its identity and culture. Beyond the format of programming or content, there emerges a collective image: who we think we are, how we feel about our listeners, and how we want to serve them. This is what Blugold Radio seeks to accomplish. Since the station is the voice of the university, WUEC-FM is not meant to speak for any one part of the collective whole, but rather as a representation of the diverse ways we interact with our region.
Goals of Blugold Radio
- to broadcast programs that are dedicated to consistency, quality, interest, information, and relevance for all listeners.
- to broadcast in a manner that identifies WUEC-FM as the “voice” of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.
- to provide university students with an opportunity to write, produce, announce, perform, research and report.
- to broadcast programs which showcase University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire faculty, departments, programs, events, students, and similar examples of campus talent.
- to collaborate with Wisconsin Public Radio as a resource for national, regional, state and local news, as well as classical and jazz music, and public information programming.